March 03, 2012

Relationship with Food





My relationship with food has been up and down and all around like a crazy roller coaster ride. Well, enough is enough and I want to keep my relationship positive!

A few years ago I had decided to go vegan for a month and then vegetarian for about a year and a half. During that time I was forced to get to know vegetables and fruits and grains. It was crazy that before I was on a strict diet, I didn't know what a butternut squash was but I sure as heck knew what a bacon cheeseburger and a little debbie was! My outlook changed but not for long. Soon, I went back to my old food and was no longer learning about vegetables. Funny thing was that the first time I had a greasy food and a fattening dessert I DIDN'T like it but still consumed it and went back to it over and over which was a BIG FAT MISTAKE!

So, I'm turning another page in my book of life and I'm redirecting myself to vegetables, fruits, grains, spices and herbs! I already see my life changing and it's helping not only me but my children and even my husband!

Here are top 5 things that have already changed in our home!

1. I cooked asparagus for the first time for my kids. I have cooked it for myself before but I never thought that my kids would like it so I didn't give it to them. UHHH HELLO!!! They need their vitamins and nutrients and the more we expose our children to vegetables the more likely they are to try it now and like it or like it later! By the way, they LOVED the asparagus so we will be having it again this week!
2. My family LOVES salmon, therefore we are eating red meat sparingly.
3. Food can be fun AND healthy! The other day for breakfast, we had an oatmeal bar! I cooked the kids some oatmeal (they have always loved it) and gave them some choices for toppings which were; honey, cinnamon, blueberries, nuts, raisins and bananas! They had a blast and I will admit that I did too!
4. I am REALLY COOKING again! Yesterday was my first time to buy FRESH parsley and basil! It felt pretty awesome and I can't wait to make the soup that calls for it tomorrow!
5. We do not have any junk food in our house. Chris's tostitos and cheese dip are the only exception. I won't lie... it's not like I never have any sweets, but I do NOT keep it in our home. We keep healthy snacks such as vegetables, fruits, crackers (whole wheat one's for me), yogurt, popcorn and nuts!

I'm very proud of what has happened lately and I am going to try my hardest to keep it up and never let it go. My life and health are important and the more I cook healthy the more I'm helping my family too!

I think there are two main ways we can have a HEALTHY relationship with food!

#1 FOOD IS A GIFT/BLESSING/CREATED FOR US
I'm gonna take this to a spiritual/religious matter that comes from a book " Spiritual Secrets to Weight Loss." It's a fantastic book and I would recommend it to anyone, especially those who are struggling! Food is a gift to us from our Heavenly Father. He made our fruits, veggies, grains, and animals to consume and to help our body stay strong and healthy. THAT was the purpose of his food. It is our responsibility to make sure that we do not pervert his way and that we pay careful attention to our servings and what we're eating. He also made our bodies and it's our responsibility to take care of them. The more we eat eat eat until we are stuffed, while others are starving, can be viewed as disgusting, literally. There are several scriptures about greed and slothfulness. There is even a scripture of Esau who gave up his birthright for food! Jesus showed us that food can be a wonderful thing, it was one of the last things he did before he passed away and one of the first things he did when he was resurrected and visited his disciples! Food is a blessing and it is wonderful! We should treat our blessing with respect and not misuse the gift of food or the gift of our bodies. Also as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I have the Word of Wisdom which came from the prophet Joseph Smith and guides us on choosing the right foods for our special bodies! If you want more information about The Word of Wisdom, you can find it at http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/89?lang=eng

#2 FOOD CAN AND SHOULD BE FUN
We should eat to fuel our body and give it nutrients that it needs and while we do this we can form special bonds with people. As we cook in the kitchen by using food we grow ourselves or a new vegetable or recipe, we can include our children in the "master piece!" One thing that I should do better is actually take the TIME to REALLY COOK! Not just slop things together but actually add vegetables and herbs and pay attention to the butter, oil, sugar, salt and fat. I've noticed that over the past couple of weeks cooking has actually been more fun as I've been paying attention to nutrition and learning new healthy recipes! My four kids love to help and they are excited to try our new recipes or vegetables! It's amazing! It's wonderful to have them in the kitchen with me so we can have conversations of daily things and interests and even about nutrition! After making the meal it's always nice to sit down as a family for dinner and relax and talk (once again) while we eat. They are times when we can reflect on our day while we provide healthy food to our body. One book that I picked up at the store has taught me so much! It's the "Women's Health Weight Loss Guide." There is a section in it dedicated to vegetables and goes over tons of veggies and what they look like, how to pick them the right way and how to cook them! It makes cooking so much fun!

I pray that I can continue this journey with a great out-look on food in general. I hope that I can respect my body enough to keep feeding it fuel when it needs it and continue to build family memories with our healthy choices! I'm looking forward to spending more time in the produce section and soon our garden and the kitchen! I can't wait until I get to that point again where I won't want the unhealthy food all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment