July 10, 2012

Top Ten Things I can't wait to do...

Top Ten Tuesday at Many Little Blessings

I'm so excited to do a lot of things! They will happen just around the corner too! Homeschooling can be so much fun!


FOUR FUN THINGS FOR TUESDAY AND THURSDAY!
(Not just Free Time, Therapy and Errand Days anymore)

1. ADVENTURE BOXES!
I am so excited to incorporate this into our Tuesday and Thursday half days! It's a great way to allow the kiddos to learn about whatever they want! Noah picked Chemistry, Nephi picked police officers, Liberty picked turtles and Harmony picked art. I got them each two different videos from the library and two different books. I also ordered them each a dover coloring book from amazon. I just need to put flash cards in all of them and a few science materials in Noah's and clay and paint in Harmony's. They should actually be called bags, not boxes, just cuz that works best for us. So happy I found this idea through many little blessings blog!

2. HANDS ON FOR READING/SPELLING AND MATH!
Along with adventure boxes on Tuesday and Thursday I am also incorporating workboxes for the older kids that will be packed with hands on ideas in an organized fashion. They already have a lot of hands on stuff but I will be adding more, such as sensory"ish" bottles found on pinterest filled with spelling words and sight words. I plan on using colored rice for different bottles with strips of card stock with words written on them. The kiddos will have to find the words and then write them. I'm planning on a couple other fun things as well, but I'm most excited about that one. Tuesday and Thursday will be lots of fun for the older kids!

3. SCHEDULED KINDERGARTEN CIRCLE TIME WITH NEPHI
Once again, another thing on Tuesday and Thursday! While the older kids are doing their hands on workboxes I'll have about an hour with Nephi to do kindergarten fun stuff and lessons. We'll be studying Nursery Rhymes, Sight Words and Classic Fairy Tales.

4. MOMMY AND ME READING
Another thing for Tuesday and Thursday. I've already started this but since I've been sick I had to take a week long break. I'm excited to get back to it! I take about 20 minutes to read with each child. They can pick whatever chapter book (Nephi will pick a picutre book) they would like and then I pick a chapter book when we are finished, and we keep taking turns. During this time is when the other kids will be diving into their adventure boxes. This gives us a good 2 1/2 - 3 hours of fun educational stuff to do on Tuesday and Thursday.

LOTS OF LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE FUN!

5. IN THE KITCHEN: MAKING OUR OWN BREAD, BUTTER, JAM AND CHEESE!
Since we are reading Little House on the Prairie, we have got to do this! We'll be doing it really soon! I'm so excited!

6. LIFE SKILLS AND CRAFTS: NATURE WEAVING, WEAVING, YARN DOLLS AND SEWING BUTTONS!
The girls especially will love this!

7. CELEBRATING PIONEER DAY AS A HOMESCHOOL FAMILY!
It goes along with Little house in the big Woods, around the same time. We will be going a while without electricity, just to see what it was like during that time and focusing on the trials that the Mormon Pioneers went through.

THE OLYMPICS FUN!


8. OLYMPICS UNIT STUDY
Filled with charts, physical fitness program, studying how it all came together and an introduction into our continent/country study for the fall.

ADDING MORE TO OUR REGULAR STUDIES ON MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, FRIDAY!


9. THE ARTS: MORE NATURE JOURNALING, ARTIST STUDY AND MUSIC STUDY
I'm excited to add a little bit more of Charlotte Mason into our studies! While focusing on reading and math lessons with each child or group then the other kids will have time for the arts. This will especially be helpful for Harmony.

10. FOREIGN LANGUAGE: SIGN LANGUAGE AND SPANISH
We're going to get back into this. We used to do it and the kids caught on quick. I wish I would have never quit it.



BONUS: SCIENCE CURRICULUM

I'm thinking about using a science curriculum this coming year. I'm not sure, but it's a thought in the back of my head...

2 comments:

  1. You made me hungry with all that talk about homemade jam and cheese! Your Little House on the Prairie adventures sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you all are going to have loads of fun.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete